Test protocol for USB 2.0 Type C Cable
1. Advanced cable tester
Each cable is tested using the Advanced cable tester v2 from Total Phase for several parameters as followed:
- Continuity and proper wiring of the cable.
- Signal integrity at 1041 Mbit/s speed for USB 2.0 cables. No need for additional tests.
- DC Resistance to make sure the DCR is within specs, not too low, not too high.
- USB PD Rev 2 and USB PD Rev 3 communication protocol.
- E-marker presence.
- E-Marker Vendor Data Objects (VODs).
- Quiescent current in E-marker.
2. External characteristics
The measured characteristics for each cable are the following:
- Total cable length (cm)
- Cable length w/o plugs (cm)
- Cable diameter (mm)
- Plug 1 type
- Plug 2 type
- Cable color
- Plugs color
- Plug 1 width (mm)
- Plug 2 width (mm)
- Plug 1 thickness (mm)
- Plug 2 thickness (mm)
Cable diameter, Plug thickness and width are measured with a Mitutoyo 500-170-30 AOS Digimatic Calliper, 0-4” Range, .075” Round Depth.
3. Voltage, Current and Power
This test shows the max voltage, current and power supported by the cable and the cable ability to support USB Battery Charging protocol.
We are running Voltage vs Current graph at each supported voltage: 5V, 9V, 12V, 15V and 20V. We are also doing a load test at max current and voltage for 30 min.
- Disconnect loopback.
- In configure change logs to 60 seconds.
- Run voltage vs Current for 5V, 9V, 12V, 15V and 20V.
- Save csv file and png file for each.
- Set voltage to 20v and run test for 30 min with logs every minute.